Yup, this proves why I am NOT a card maker! :) Today's feature at Practical Scrappers is one layer cards. Basically, anything you do you have to do on the card itself...you can't add another "layer" (like paper or cardstock or ribbon).
Sounds easy, right, but it was hard for me because I LOVE adding layers to things! So I brainstormed and tried a few ideas out...
FYI, with baby #2 coming, my Mom's Group does a meal program after I have the baby, and someone bring meals on M, W, and F for 6 weeks! So I knew I was going to need a lot of Thank You cards!
My first idea was to use a background pattern stamp and then heat emboss an image on top. But I didn't want the background image to show through my embossing. So here is what I did:
1. I stamped the butterfly onto a piece of cardstock and cut it out. I did the same with the sentiment.
2. I place the cut outs on my card base (and used them as masks) and then stamped with my background woodgrain stamp.
3. I removed my "masks" and then stamped the images directly onto the card with versamark.
4. I then added embosing powder and heat embossed.
Here are some things I learned:
1. When you are stamping your masks to cut out, stamp on a thin piece of paper because I couldn't get a good "press" on my stamp, and the edges around the butterfly and sentiment aren't that crisp.
2. Use a good ink...my black is getting to it's last leg, and it shows.
So then I tried the same idea again, this time cutting my masks from thin computer paper, and it worked better. But again, my black is not as crisp as I wanted it to be, and I wish I chose different colors for the embossing, but over these are OK. Also, I just HAVE to add something to the center of each doily, so I am gonna add a gem!
My last cards are the most simple, but my most favorite. I stamped the feet with the black stamp, the heart with pink, added some stickles and a thin black pen line and VOILA!!!!! These little cards are so cute, and it just goes to show that sometimes less is more! I have to make a bunch more of these now to send out to the Mom's!
Go check out some of the AMAZING One Layer Cards on the Practical Scrappers blog today!
Guest Blogger: Yana Smakula
2 hours ago