Monday, October 15, 2012

Art Journal Beginning...I Believe....IE Prompt

You may recall from last month's challenge that the purpose of this challenge group was to take our scrapbooking to the next level, to stretch our creative process and to grow as artists by embracing challenges that make us think, work and grow. We love to have new faces join us on our journey and this month we welcome a new guest designer to join us.  Please join me in welcoming Denise Morrison. Denise's blog is aptly name "Life is Yummy" and so is her art!

This month our challenger was the very talented Ann Jobes. Her challenge to us is as follows:

This month's challenge is a journalling prompt. I realize some of us do not journal much on our pages, and if we're truthful, we mostly scrapbook for ourselves - it gives us joy, a creative outlet, etc. But we do hope that someone is going to page through these albums sometime in the future, right? For this month's challenge, I'd like you to think about some of those values or beliefs that are important to you.

There is no "right way" to do this. Spend some time thinking about this. It's your chance to share with future generations something that is important to you and makes you who you are. Take some time to collect some verses, quotes or sayings that speak to your soul. Choose one that you think is a "life verse" - something that really communicates the essence of you.

Use whatever photo(s) you think will suit your message. Enjoy putting a meaningful page together using your favourite techniques, style, papers - whatever makes it "you".

I know this is going to be difficult. I'm asking you to reverse your process and put the message first when we so often put our message/journalling last, as an afterthought, if at all.

I am not a good journalist...I always save it to the last minute and sometimes have a hard time articulating the feelings or thoughts that I want to convey.

Now I have to tell you that my post today was not only inspired by this month's prompt, but some of the upcoming prompts as well (which I obviously can't share yet).  But that is what lead me to doing something different: Art Journaling.

I have been wanted to do this for a long time, and have dabbled here and there, but I have never really committed to it.  It seemed like this format would allow me to explore and play with design and techniques as well as provide a place for me to document personal thoughts or feelings. I see this journal as being more of a creative exploration rather than a personal one...but who knows...it might develop into something totally different, and that is OK.

So here is my first art journal page.  I really have no idea what I am doing here....just playing around:




I played with paint, mists, stencils, stamps, punches, and pens.  If the word "Believe" were a color, I imagined it would be a mix of greens and blues and a bit of yellow. And also have some metallic accents.


I obviously didn't fill both pages, and that is OK, because I am sure  that I will think of things that I believe in and go back and add in some journaling.  This journaling is not something that I would normally share, but I wanted to share the whole spread with you.

I thought I would use the journal as a space to write about "I" things.  Some of the prompts I plan on using are:

I believe
I want
I need
I remember
I wish
I regret
I hope
I fear
I love
I see
I pretend
I was
I imagine
...and many more.


 I hope you will stop by and see what the designers on this adventure have created:


We would love to see what you are inspired to create. Add your comment below with a link, I will be sure to drop by and say hello.




14 comments:

Denise said...

Audrey this is stunning.
I love your style!!

Anonymous said...

Audrey, this is so cool! I'm glad that the prompt took you to another forum for your papercrafting and this page is beautiful! Great colours and techniques coming together here!

Tracey said...

Gorgeous!!

Cathy said...

Triple Wow! This so cool, love to see you exploring your creativity and new things.

Unknown said...

what a fabulous concept, these pages are so pretty and have so many things to look at. Looking forward to seeing more!

Lisa Spiegel said...

I love that you took this "off the page" for more introspection..it's just beautiful! Hope you'll share more as you go!

Joanne said...

I love this! I have always been intrigued by Art Journaling and you are right - this is the perfect place for personal thoughts and feelings while having fun artistically! Well done!
Joanne xo

Christa said...

What a wonderful wonderful creation. I work of art HOKEY DOODLE!

Diana Waite said...

WOW what an AMAZING process--GREAT job!

LisaM said...

Girl, you always inspire me! Love it!

Laurel said...

Wow, absolutely amazing!

Roxy said...

This is gorgeous, absolutely LOVE it!!!

Anonymous said...

It's gorgeous!!!

Sue Sykes said...

Fantastic art journal page, Audrey! Love the mix of blues/greens and you're right, I can imagine the word "believe" as those colours! :)