Friday, September 9, 2016

What Shade Are You? blog series for RJR Fabrics

*pinch*.  Sorry, just had to pinch myself to see if this opportunity was for real.  Yup, I am part of the "What Shade Are You?" blog series for RJR Fabrics this week and I couldn't be more excited!  


My name is Audrey Yeager, and I am fairly new to quilting, only having become really obsessed about 2 1/2 years ago and making a ton of quilts since.  

You can find me here:

blog: http://audreysreflection.blogspot.com/
IG: https://www.instagram.com/audreykit1/
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/audreykit/


I have become completely enamored with Cotton & Steel fabrics, and use a lot of the Cotton Supreme solids that complement the lines.  When I received the color swatch chart I was just amazed at all the shades and colors to choose from.

To help me narrow down my choice, I went to my "Art" board on Pinterest and chose some of my current favorite pieces for inspiration.  I am really drawn to the art and illustration of Helen Dardik. Look at this amazing combination of colors below.  I especially love that emerald green and the light blue.

Here are some of my favorites:









And my biggest inspiration came from this collection of images focusing on the semi-circle design.







I decided to pick my colors from these images and matched them up with the color chart as best as I could and here is the resulting bundle:



The colors from the Cotton Supreme solids I chose are:

Kelly Green (127 T)
Citron (337)
Sunny Delight (326)
Tangerine Dream (276)
Bandana (367 C+S)
Paris (235 RP)
Chili Pepper (49 T)
Hot Pink (217)
Rhododendron (181 T)
Amethyst (215)
Hydrangea (214)
Lapis Lazuli (192 T)
Royal Blue (126 T)
Riviera (274)
Turks & Caicos (292)
Peridot (342)
Harlequin (358)
Clover (128)
Optical White (33 T)
Black (34 T)

And here is my quilt:



I began by drawing some semi circle shapes on some Heat N Bond lite, cutting them out, and ironing them on the backs of the different colored solids.

To make some of the more complicated designs, I pieced some strips for some, and on other, I cut out tiny bits of fabric backed with Heat N Bond and ironed them on.

After lining up the semi-circles and ironing them all on, I appliquéd around each with a blanket stitch in invisible thread.




I quilted with a really loose stipple pattern, leaving some of the semi-circles un-quilted to make them puff out a bit from the others.
I backed my quilt with my favorite color...a solid emerald green, which is so super soft! 


To finish, I added a fun black and white striped binding with fabric from my stash.


Some more shots:






Thanks so much to RJR Fabrics for this amazing opportunity!  I already have another project in the works with my scraps from this one!

2 comments:

KaHolly said...

Very nice! Congratulations for being chosen for this series! What a special treat!

Unknown said...

OMG I LOVE love love this!!!Man I wish I knew how to quilt!!! your quilts are always so fun and playful