Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Whoop-De-Do! Halupki!

My mother's side of the family is polish (and I'm blonde, which isn't a great combo!  :)  ).   Anyways, I grew up listening to polka's like Hupi Shupi (sp?) and eating pierogies and halupki.  My mom came to visist about a month ago, and I asked her to show me how to make them, since I never learned.  I have a lot of memories of going to visit my grandma and grandpa and the smell of cabbage simmering in their house.

This month at my LSS, I chose the AdornIt Caroloee's Creation lines to work with.  So I checked out their blog, and aren't they having a LO contest about a recipe????  So that is how this LO came to be! 

The swirls on the patterned paper reminded me of steam rising from the halupki when they come out of the oven.


Part of the challenge was to used striped ribbon, a monogram, and a stamped image.  I used some self adhesive ribbon from GCD studios and some baker's twine.  The monogram I printed from a font on my computer and then colored it in.

 For the stamped image, I used some American Crafts stamps from the Abode line.  I added a bit more detail to the oven with pen.

Finally, I used some AC thickers for my title and outlined them with a thin black pen.

I love doing layouts about my childhood memories, so I am glad I got to kill a lot of birds with this one.....that doesn't sound right....anyways, we will be making this page in my class on Nov. 28 at The Lonestar Scrapbook Company.

2 comments:

Tessa Buys said...

I love this Audrey! I'm part Polish, too, and I grew up making pierogies. I make them for my family now :). I haven't tried halupki, though. Looks yummy!

WhiteRacoon said...

Yummy! When I was a kid it was my favorite dish, but in Russian it's called "golubtsi" =) LOVED it! until a few years ago I appeared to have cabbage intolerance =( Can't even taste it anymore... Your LO brings back the sweetest memories. Thank you! =) Great looking project!