Saturday, June 4, 2011

Magpie Club June reveal

Well I am a little late with posting my reveal for Magpie Club this week because I am enjoying my short summer vacation in NY.  It is my last trip since I wont be able to travel after 30 weeks! Already I can tell that this baby wants to come out!

Since I am traveling and scrapping, I had to pack very light.  I tried to preplan my pages in my notebook, which I brought with me.  While at home, I went through the kit, chose my photos, and sketched out my pages.  Then I just brought a very few items with me.  My scissors and adhesives, of course, including pop dots, glue dots, and my liquid glue.  A few inks to match the kit, one punch, my sew easy tool, and a few embroidery threads. I didn't even bring a paper trimmer!


This was definetly a challenge for me, but I kind of liked working with restricted supplies...it helped me be more creative with what I have!

So onto this fun fun kit...so different for me.  I loved the color combos of these papers!

I was first inspired by the ribbons in the kit.  Now if you know my style, you know that I dont use ribbons often.  But the light and dark blues of the ribbons reminded me of the colors of the Greek flag.  And we just so happened to have visitied the town of Tarpin Springs, Fla., last month, which is a huge Greek community that thrives on sponge diving.  So this photo I took of Charlotte and her cousin at the docks was perfect.





I wanted to focus on the white and colors, so I created a monochromatic page.  I hardly ever do this, but just love this page.

I didn't bring any other alphas with me, and the ones in the kit are red and white, so I decided to handwrite my title...I never have done this before!  But I liked it and Ii want to try practicing with doodling some different fonts.

For the next page, i wanted to focus on all the stars in the kit, so i used a photo of some starlets to match!







I did a lot of layering and added some more detail with some handstiched stars to match.

The navy and red colors seemed so masculine to me, so I chose a photo of hubby.  I used three different actions in photoshop to give slightly different looks to the same photo.  This is another technique that i dont often do: use the same photo more than once on a pag.  But i have seen this around a lot, and decided to do it.  I will l do it again.







The journaling area on this page is actually from some of the packaging of the embellies.  The red pleated ribbon was a bit too bright for the other reds on the page, so I soaked it in a bit of water and then inked it with some black ink to make it a bit darker.

Lastly, I fell in love with the Pink Paislee stickers in the kit.  There were these banner stickers that I loved but decided to put a twist on them by making them rays of sunshine!




This page was a bit tricky becauseIi didnt want to do another white background, but I didnt have an more whole sheets of patterned paper that matched for a background pattern.  So I pieced together some of the blue-ish papers for the background.

Again I didnt want red letters for my title, so I traced the stickers onto some patterned paper, inked them, and cut them out.

The journaling I added right to the pattern in the paper.


So, in a nutshell, I did a TON of new things for this kit:
*monochromatic page
*handwriteten title
*multiples of the same photo
*no paper trimmer!


Go check out the kit at Magpie Club and see what the other designers did, too! I am positive you will love everything you see!

3 comments:

Diana Waite said...

wow! I really LOVE all of these layouts--I especially like the sun on the last one!

Donna said...

wonderfuly done!!! I love the way you pieced all the blue papers!

yyam said...

Lovely work! I love the little details like the stitching...and the fun layers! :)