Monday, October 22, 2012

A Halloween Display for Glitz...*free svg file*

I am SO excited to share this post with you today!

When you think of Glitz Designs products, you probably don't think about Halloween. I wanted to try and challenge myself to find a way to use the beautiful papers for a spooky display.


I wanted the focal point of my display to be a creepy tree, so I found a large branch outside that had a nice curve to it, removed all the leaves, and spray painted it black.  I cut a whole bunch of skulls from the French Kiss "Fleur" paper using my Cricut (I found a free svg file online).  The paper is cream colored with little Fleur De Lis on the front and some newsprint pattern on the back.  I put the branch in a vase and filled it with some stones and hung the skulls from the branch.






I love the look of subway art pieces and decided to give one a go myself!  I used my SCAL2 software with my Cricut machine.  I just choose some Halloween words and phrases, picked the different fonts I wanted, cut it out, and back each word with a different paper.



This piece is 8.5 x 11".  I saved the file as an SVG, so those of you who can cut SVGs (Silhouette users need the designer edition of the SS software) can use it!   A note:  be sure to save the inside pieces of your letters when you peel your words from your mat, especially the pieces in the "l's" of "Halloween".

 FIND THE SVG HERE



Next, I wanted to make a little coffin to go with my skull display.  I am sure there are some free cutting files out there, but I did it the old fashioned way!  I found a FREE TEMPLATE for printing and tracing a 3-D coffin, and just cut it by hand and glued it.  Honestly, it probably took the same amount of time as setting up my die cutting machine and mat!  I also printed a small cross, glued it on, and added some crackle accents.



To finish out my display, I used a black creepy cloth on the surface, some store bought skulls and fake rat (I think?) and I spray painted some pumpkins black.



Well I hope I inspired you to try and use some of your pretty things for a spooky display!  Have a Happy Halloween!

Supplies:
Glitz Designs Papers "French Kiss", "Laced with Grace", "Love Games", "Olivia", "Vintage Blue"

4 comments:

Cathy said...

super spooky fun! Love it!

Unknown said...

This is super scary, wicked cute!

Diana Fisher said...

So spooky — love it!!

Sara Zenger said...

Love your decore!!! Spooooky!